Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Myth and Logic

It was only but shortly after I walked the first steps on my path that I realized there had to be a middle way. I had one experience on a party in 1993, when all were fed up and powered out by dancing, drinking and good food, when the more solemn music came out, and we started to get philosophical. There was a bunch of educated people around, and the tales came out;-), the horror tales as well as the fairy tales. Then Jana went to her drawer and took out a book on corn crop circles. It certainly impressed the lot of us. We were a circle of young people educated by "the master", as we preferred to call him winkingly, our English and Philosophy teacher in school, Mr. Blümke, and had a close affinity to difficult topics before, and that evening made matters worse;-).

Anyway, it started us all on a roller coaster trip into a world of subcultural philosophy. And I realized soon I needed something to get me down again, for I was getting paranoid and tiring of all those world conspiracy theories. Our teacher would not have approved, that much is for sure;-).

But what failsafe to build into it?

I learned, slowly and very painfully, for the asset was my life, that there is a close coherence between myth and logic, and through years of struggle I have personally come  to this conclusion:

There is a coherence between myth and logic. This coherence is due to a grammar common to both models of agnition. Logic in itself uses two different ways, inductive and deductive logic. Mythology is logic in itself, but follows a different grammar. It is explained more simple by stating that myth is a language translating psychological processes that were put in train by intensive observations and / or experiences. A culture observes that the individuals living in it are subject to lightning strike without being able to fend it off. There is a belief in the Gods already, or in one deity, so, if they / it / He are able to use universal powers, the lightning strike must be a weapon of the Gods, the deity, God. Our culture tends to make a very grave methodological mistake by claiming that, because we can explain the phenomenon of lightning strike physically, that there are no gods / no deity / no god. The phenomenon is induced by facts easily physically explained. What we have explained, however, is just that: The phenomenon, and not the psychological side of the event. Mythology served to do that, as does psychology in modern days. Both cannot render the Gods, God or the deity obsolete, for the explanation of the latter is not subject of psychology or physics, but of mythology.

On the other hand, if I want to explain every event in my life by using mythology, I would be mislead also. I therefore must seek out what the event, the phenomenon indicates mythologically. If I postulate there is a mythological grammar, myth can be reproduced according to this grammar. This is no one - way - street, but indicates that myths are decodeable if you have the right code.

Gnosis has the term "Noumenon" for the psycho-mythological side of the phenomenon, the "soul" of the physical event. The noumenon are the footsteps of the deity, if you so will. To decode the matter of those footsteps is the motivation to agnition. Myth and logic walk hand in hand in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment